SER’s YouthBuild program follows the established YouthBuild national model, combining personalized GED instruction with hands-on construction training to boost employability. It fosters leadership skills and prepares youth for further education and work through service projects, career training, and experience. Supported by the U.S. Department of Labor, SER Metro-Detroit YouthBuilders offers two career paths while earning a diploma or GED: Construction Trades or Health Care.
Construction learners explore 22 trades, gain carpentry experience, and earn industry credentials (such as NABTU’s Multi-Craft Core Curriculum, OSHA 10/30, CPR/First Aid/AED, and EPA’s Lead Renovation Repair & Painting Rule Certification). Participants positively impact their community by constructing affordable housing, building confidence, commitment, and interpersonal skills for success.
- Must be 17-24 years old to apply
- Detroit Resident with few exeptions
- Disconnected from High School
- Interested in committing to Health Care or Construction Certifications
- *Other eligibility & income requirements may apply*
- Increased employability, leadership, confidence
- Development of skills needed to enroll into credit-bearing college level courses or apprenticeship programs
- Development of critical communication and networking skills
- Understanding the importance of social impact through civic engagement
- High School Equivalency & opportunities in high-paying entry-level career paths
Health Care participants work towards state certification as Patient Care Technicians. They learn principles and techniques, including electrocardiography, phlebotomy, nurse’s aide duties, and safety measures, emphasizing legal, ethical considerations, and CPR/First Aid/AED.
This workforce product was funded by a grant awarded by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Employment and Training Administration. The product was created by the recipient and does not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Labor. The Department of Labor makes no guarantees, warranties, or assurances of any kind, express or implied, with respect to such information, including any information on linked sites and including, but not limited to, accuracy of the information or its completeness, timeliness, usefulness, adequacy, continued availability, or ownership. This product is copyrighted by the institution that created it.