YouthWork Conservation Corps is hiring seasonal, full-time Crew Leaders for the summer 2022 season, beginning in May/June through August/September. Longer term positions may be available to the right candidate. YouthWork, an AmeriCorps program of Child & Family Services, develops vulnerable young adults and their local communities through conservation, skilled trades, and other service activities. Our main office is in Traverse City, Michigan with crews serving remotely across Michigan.
Crews consist of 2-6 AmeriCorps members ages 16-26+ and a Crew Leader. Crews typically serve four 10-hour days each week, Monday through Thursday, with the potential for some overtime and/or overnight camping trips. There is opportunity for paid Wilderness First Responder, CRP/First Aid, and other trainings. Crews go out into their local community and complete various types of projects for nonprofit organizations and government agencies. Most crews complete projects within 50 miles of their home community, though some longer distance and overnight projects may be requested/required based on availability, project/crew needs, and capacity.
Crew Leaders are responsible for day-to-day supervision of their crew which includes: outlining and maintaining daily expectations; transporting youth to and from projects in YouthWork vehicles; support youth in accessing necessary resources; ensuring safety, uniform/PPE compliance, participation, and quality control and timely completion of project activities; resolving conflict and challenges within their crew; setting a positive example for timeliness, work ethic, and morale; acting as a liaison with parents/caregivers and school staff as needed; ensuring vehicles and equipment are maintained; and collecting photos, stories, required documentation, and necessary data while in the field. Crew Leaders are the daily contact for project partners in the field and the primary contact for AmeriCorps members. Crew Leaders create a positive service environment and help ensure valuable experience for members.
- Supervise and serve alongside 2-6 youth AmeriCorps members in the field
- Train, motivate, and support your crew to efficiently and safely complete hands-on conservation and service projects such as tree planting, light construction, debris removal, trail development or improvements, historic preservation, etc. (training provided)
- Facilitate and ensure the implementation of environmental, academic, job and life skills, and character lessons for youth members
- Follow check-in procedures at the start of each day that includes a review of the day’s activities and appropriate safety procedures
- Follow check-out procedures at the end of each day that includes tool and equipment inventory, assurance of team members’ well-being, and reflection time
- Ensure the accurate completion of required documentation including timesheets, regular reports, project and member evaluations, and other documents as required
- Support the health, safety, and well-being of members and provide referrals to needed community resources
- Build nurturing connections with members, clients, partners, and community members
- Passion for working with youth, particularly vulnerable/disadvantaged youth. Some experience preferred.
- Ability to lead a team, give direction and performance feedback, and support members’ unique needs
- Conservation, construction, landscaping, or similar related experience preferred
- Ability to carry out projects to completion and partner satisfaction with little direct supervision
- Ability to demonstrate and model excellent work ethic, punctuality, accountability, and trustworthiness
- Excellent organizational and risk management skills
- Ability to demonstrate creativity, patience, and good humor while working as a team
- Clean driving record required
- Able to lift/move up to 50 lbs, and climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, and bend
- Mechanically inclined and familiar with and able to model safe use of hand tools
- Able to frequently walk, sit, talk, and listen
- Familiarity with computers and completing paperwork
Learn more: www.cfsnwmi.org/youthwork
Quick apply: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YouthWorkCrewLeader