JOB TITLE: School Counselor
DEPARTMENT: SER YouthBuild Learning Academy
DIVISION: SER Metro Charter School
LOCATION: SER Workforce Center & Samaritan Center
REPORTS TO: Dean of Climate and Culture
APPROVED DATE: 5/31/2022
JOB SUMMARY: The SER Metro School Counselor will work to support the social, emotional and academic well-being of the students by providing the necessary counseling. This can be helping students through social and emotional challenges or liaising with other agencies and organizations outside the school. The Counselor may also help students with course planning and applying for post-secondary education. Leads professional development workshops.
ABOUT SER LEARNING ACADEMY: SYLA is an alternative high school for youth ages 16-21. Its model combines classroom instruction by a certified teacher with enabling students to learn a trade while in school, providing learners with the knowledge, skills, and self-discipline necessary to become successful citizens in a global society. At SYLA, you will be part of a team that believes in this mission and makes real impact in young people’s lives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides culturally responsive individual and small group counseling to students with identified concerns and needs
- Responds effectively to crises affecting students and faculty
- Adheres to laws, policies, procedures and ethical standards for the counseling profession
- Monitors student academic performance, behavior, attendance and assists with appropriate interventions
- Support the Dean of Culture with addressing inappropriate student behaviors through individual or group restorative practices
- Assists with transcripts and the graduation progress planning
- Assists administration and recruitment team with presentations and the development of recruitment strategies
- Develops and maintain contacts with social service, law enforcement, private and public agencies
- Leads professional development workshops/trainings for staff
- Facilitates parent workshops on health and wellness, college and career readiness
- Meet with juniors and seniors throughout the school year
- Assist Senior Class with Xello to fulfill their graduation requirements
- Maintains necessary and accurate records for the school profile, graduation progress and school state reporting
- Provides support with planning and implementation of Student Assemblies
- Maintains appropriate confidentiality regarding students
- Supports and collaborates effectively with all stakeholders
- Serves as the Student Council Co-Advisor
- Assists with the planning and implementation of all school related activities
- Composes reports, memos, letters, procedures, manuals etc. for the purpose of documenting activities, providing written reference and conveying information regarding all aspects of the position
- Attends required meetings and trainings as required by the Principal, School Administration, SER Management Company or School Board
- Additional duties as assigned by supervisor
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: N/A
- MA/MS in Counseling from an accredited college
- Exceptional interpersonal communication, computer and organizational skills
- Experience with individual and group counseling
- Ability to interact with students, parents and staff in a positive and productive manner.
- Ability to work with parents, students, faculty, post-secondary educational representatives and community partners
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to help students gain an awareness of interests and abilities
- Ability to understand student maturity levels and the process of goal selection
- Ability to understand the unique social-emotional needs of individual students
- Experience working in an urban setting
- Proficiency in each student management system; FileMaker, MiStar and APEX Learning
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access) and online sourcing tools with functional knowledge of internet use for search platforms.
- Must possess the ability to remain composed and work effectively during high pressured and stressful situations
- Demonstrates proficiency in the use of office equipment
- Must possess the ability to prioritize assignments, multi-task, meet and manage deadlines
- Must represent SER Metro at all times in a positive and professional manner
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule
- Must possess and provide a valid Michigan Driver’s License. Incumbent must also have reliable transportation
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to see, talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit for extended periods of time, and have sufficient hand, arm, and finger dexterity to operate a phone, computer keyboard, and other office equipment. Must be able to lift a minimum of 20 pounds.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. – This job operates in a normal school environment with a noise level, which is at times, moderately loud with little discomfort due to noise, dirt, dust and the like. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Equal Opportunity Employer
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a person assigned to this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties and responsibilities that may be performed by a person so classified. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- In order to be considered for this position, applicants must visit www.sermetro.org/apply