JOB TITLE: Interventionist
DIVISION: SER Metro Charter School
DEPARTMENT: SER Learning Academy
LOCATION: SER Workforce Center – Stecker
REPORTS TO: Curriculum Coordinator
APPROVED DATE: 07/15/2022
JOB SUMMARY: Provides support to SER Metro students participating in the alternative high school, in a non-traditional classroom setting. Assists with academic support as students complete their Michigan Merit Curriculum Graduation Requirements using APEX learning as the online learning platform.
About SER Learning Academy: SYLA is an alternative high school for youth ages 16-21. Its model combines classroom instruction by a certified teacher with enabling students to learn a trade while in school, providing learners with the knowledge, skills, and self-discipline necessary to become successful citizens in a global society. At SYLA you will be part of a team that believes in this mission and makes real impact in young people’s lives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Encourages students to set and maintain high standards of classroom behavior and academic achievement
- Assists with maintaining a blended classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and individual academic level of the students
- Follows the Distance Learning platform and computer lab policies while adhering to the District’s Alternative Education Regulations
- Assists with maintaining the computer lab, while assisting with teaching and monitoring classes using a variety of instructional strategies and resources
- Assists with computer lab class signage, student sign-on, and supports students individual or in small homogenous groups with academic interventions
- Ensures that attendance taken hourly and placed into PowerSchool
- Ensures that the classroom environment is appropriate for teaching and learning
- Establishes and maintains open lines of communication with students, colleagues, and parents concerning both academic and behavioral progress of assigned students
- Works cooperatively and in concert with other colleagues to advance a seamless, responsive and effective education environment for students
- Display the highest ethical and professional behavior and standards when working with students, parents and school personnel
- Redirects inappropriate classroom behaviors. Completes a Disciplinary Referral or contacts the Dean of Culture or Principal if the behavior impacts teaching and learning
- Report incidents regarding violence, vandalism, attendance and discipline matters to Dean of Culture or Principal
- Ensures that students in classroom are assigned to be there during that hour. Do not allow students that are not assigned to remain in your classroom
- Prohibit students from leaving classroom except to go to the restroom
- Ensures compliance of all CDC guidelines consistently
- Performs other related tasks and responsibilities as requested by Instructional Coach or Principal
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: N/A
- Associate’s degree preferred; high school diploma or equivalent (GED) required
- One-year tutoring experience or work training youth preferred
- Excellent math and/or writing skills
- Excellent organizational, written and verbal communications skills required
- Positive interpersonal skills necessary with staff and students
- Experience with Microsoft Office software
- Ability to interact with students, parents and staff in a positive and productive manner.
- Ability to effectively educate and support students from various backgrounds and socio-economic levels required
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, stand, sit and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift equipment weighing up to fifty pounds for various events and activities. Some filing is required which would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. – This job operates in a normal school environment with a noise level, which is at times, moderately loud with little discomfort due to noise, dirt, dust and the like. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Equal Opportunity Employer
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a person assigned to this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties and responsibilities that may be performed by a person so classified. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- Apply now! Visit: sermetro.org/apply to be considered for this position.