JOB TITLE: General Accountant
LOCATION: SER Workforce Center (Stecker) – 5200 Stecker, Dearborn MI 48216
REPORTS TO: Controller
FLSA STATUS: Exempt/Salary
CLASSIFICATION: Full-Time, Regular
APPROVED DATE: 01/26/2022
JOB SUMMARY: Performs a variety of accounting tasks such as maintaining journals and ledgers, performing balance sheet account reconciliations and preparing financial records and reports. Assists Controller in the coordination to the day-to-day operations of the units of the Finance Department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintains the automated general ledger system; prepares the month-end and year-end closing of the general ledger.
- Assists in preparing budgets and budget revisions; analyzes actual financial performance compared to budget.
- In coordination with the Budget/AR unit, responsible for the development and strict adherence to the cost allocation plan in accordance with corporate policies and government regulations.
- Prepares balance sheet accounts including bank account reconciliations; conducts necessary research to resolve discrepancies.
- Generates financial reports and statements; conducts research necessary to resolve discrepancies and distributes information to appropriate individuals.
- Posts transactions to general ledger ensuring inclusion of necessary documentation in accordance with corporation policies and procedures.
- Prepares special financial reports as requested by various funding sources and government agencies.
- Adheres to the mission of SER Metro-Detroit and Subsidiaries.
- Contributes to the team effort by performing other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: No
- Bachelor’s degree from a four year accredited university or college with a degree in accounting.
- Minimum 6 years’ of accounting experience in a related field.
- Skills necessary to effectively coordinate and review their work.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Computer skills necessary to maintain accounts accounting records and generate accounting reports with proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Access).
- Interpersonal skills necessary to request and provide information to employees and business representatives.
- Ability to work independently to handle pressures related to meeting deadlines and completing tasks requiring concentration.
- Analytical ability and mathematical aptitude to perform accounting/bookkeeping functions of moderate difficulty and conduct research necessary to resolve discrepancies.
- Mental ability to handle pressures related to meeting deadlines, completing tasks requiring concentration and attention to detail and dealing with confidential and/or highly sensitive issues.
- Physical ability to occasionally sit in one position for extended periods of time when data entering information.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule as evening and/or weekend work hours may be occasionally required.
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License and provide automobile liability insurance.
- Must have access to reliable transportation in order to travel within service area.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Must have physical ability to occasionally sit in one position for extended periods of time when data entering information. This is a largely sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend, stand or walk as necessary. Employee must be able to drive for extended periods of time. Employees must occasionally lift and /or move up to 25 pounds.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: This job operates in a normal office environment with little discomfort due to noise, dirt, dust and the like. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photo copiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. Fast paced, mentally demanding and will be in constant communications.
Equal Opportunity Employer
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a person assigned to this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties and responsibilities that may be performed by a person so classified. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- TO APPLY, PLEASE VISIT WWW.SERMETRO.ORG/APPLY