JOB TITLE: Foundational Skills Instructor
DIVISION: Youth Services
DEPARTMENT: SER YouthBuild Learning Academy (SYLA)
REPORTS TO: Youth Education Services Lead/Principal
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt/Hourly
CLASSIFICATION: Full-Time Regular
APPROVED DATE: 1/29/2020
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for providing instruction for students participating in GED and alternative high school completion programs that require additional support in literacy, math and other subject areas using various resources and instructional techniques to bridge the achievement gap.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides and analyzes an academic assessment to identify the student’s academic needs.
- Develops an Individual Learning Plan for each student assigned that tracks academic progress in each identified area of deficiency.
- Provides instruction to students to improve foundational skills in math, science, social studies, ELA (English Language Arts) and reading comprehension.
- Creates a weekly lesson plan that is curriculum based and addresses the needs of students in the Foundational Skills Class.
- Monitors outcomes and assessments providing ongoing feedback and recommendations to increase academic proficiency.
- Participates in staff meetings and case conferences for students progressing into GED programming.
- Provides up-to-date reports on the progress of students from the alternative high school completion program.
- Provides regular communications to Youth Education Services Lead/Principal on student progress and other issues.
- Conducts regular pre and post testing on literacy levels and Common Core State Standards to monitor student academic progress to determine readiness skills for the SYLA and GED Programs.
- Encourages students to set and maintain high standards of classroom behavior and academic achievement.
- Displays the highest ethical and professional behavior and standards when working with students, parents and school personnel.
- Meets with students and contacts parents/champion (of minors) to provide regular feedback and strategies to improve academic deficiencies.
- Utilizes a variety of instructional resources that include but not limited to individual and small group instruction, blended learning, manipulatives and online websites to improve academic outcomes for students in literacy and other core academic subject areas.
- Ensures that each student’s attendance is recorded into the MiStar student information system.
- Ensures that student grades are entered into the gradebook weekly.
- Ensures that all relevant information as required by SER and the program-funding source are accurate and current.
- Performs such other related tasks and assumes such other related responsibilities as needed.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: NONE
- Associates degree or teaching certificate.
- Two to three years’ experience in adult education and/or with at-risk youth.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Knowledge of CCSS (Common Core State Standards) in grades K – 12.
- Ability to utilize differentiated instruction to improve academic outcomes.
- Ability to effectively educate and manage students from varying backgrounds and socio-economic levels, as well as academic level.
- Ability to interact with students, parents and staff in a positive and productive manner.
- Ability to multi task and manage related pressures in the classroom while effectively handling conflict.
- Experience with Microsoft Office software.
- Bilingual language skills in English/Spanish and/or English/Arabic is preferred.
- Valid Michigan Driver’s License. Incumbent must also have reliable means of transportation to travel to various locations outside of the office.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: This is a largely sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: This job operates in a normal office environment with little discomfort due to noise, dirt, dust and the like. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photo copiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Equal Opportunity Employer
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a person assigned to this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties and responsibilities that may be performed by a person so classified. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- TO APPLY, PLEASE VISIT WWW.SERMETRO.ORG/APPLY