DIVISION: SER Metro Charter School
DEPARTMENT: SER YouthBuild Learning Academy
LOCATION: SER Workforce Center – 5200 Stecker St, Dearborn, MI 48126
REPORTS TO: Curriculum Coordinator
CLASSIFICATION: Full time
Job Summary: The SER Metro Construction Teacher offers the rigorous MC3 (Multi-craft Core Curriculum) which is aligned with the Michigan Common Core guidelines, while upholding the Mission, Vision and Values of the SER Metro School District. The Construction Teacher facilitates instruction to students participating in an alternative high school, in a non- traditional setting.
About SER Learning Academy: SYLA is an alternative high school for youth ages 16-21. Its model combines classroom instruction by a certified teacher with enabling students to learn a trade while in school, providing learners with the knowledge, skills, and self-discipline necessary to become successful citizens in a global society. At SYLA you will be part of a team that believes in this mission and makes real impact in young people’s lives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Encourages students to set and maintain high standards of classroom behavior and academic achievement
- Develops relevant instructional modules and projects using the MC3 Curriculum
- Incorporates multiple hands-on projects throughout the school year and a Capstone Project that is due at the end of the school year
- Prepares students for MC3 (Multi-Craft Core Curriculum), RRP (Repair, Renovate and Paint) and OSHA 10 Certifications
- Ensures that students are practicing safety techniques at all times
- Maintains student attendance in PowerSchool with high standards by inputting daily. Grading of assignments placed into PowerSchool as assignments are completed
- Determine student proficiency, report and track student progress that assists in preparing students for certifications and a career in construction.
- Develops innovative techniques and training methods to increase learning outcomes for students
- Follow procedures for safe storing and integrity of all public and confidential school records.
- Display the highest ethical and professional behavior and standards when working with students, parents and school personnel
- Provides ongoing communication with students, regarding attendance, grades and other issues that may hinder program completion
- Establishes and maintains open lines of communication with students, colleagues, and parents concerning both academic and behavioral progress of students
- Contacts student when absent by text, email and/or phone to improve retention outcomes.
- Attends meetings and trainings as required by DPSCD and SER YouthBuild Learning Academy
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Five or more recent and relevant Experience in the field of construction
- Valid Michigan Teaching Certificate preferred
- Proficient in High School Algebra, Geometry, and Algebra II
- Two to three years’ experience in adult education and/or with at-risk youth.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Bilingual language skills in English/Spanish and/or English Arabic is preferred
- Ability to interact with student, parent and staff in a positive and productive manner
- Ability to effectively educate and manage students from varying backgrounds and socio-economic levels
- Experience in effectively handling conflict
- Valid Michigan Driver’s License and reliable means of transportation to travel to various locations outside of the office
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, stand, sit and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift equipment weighing up to fifty pounds for various events and activities. Some filing is required which would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. – This job operates in a normal school environment with a noise level which is at times, moderately loud with little discomfort due to noise, dirt, dust and the like. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photo copiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Equal Opportunity Employer
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a person assigned to this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties and responsibilities that may be performed by a person so classified. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must visit www.sermetro.org/apply