JOB TITLE: Career Coach
DIVISION: Adult Services
DEPARTMENT: SEMCA (PATH)
LOCATION: Highland Park American Job Center (144 E. Manchester St., Highland Park, MI 48203)
REPORTS TO: SERCO Management
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt/Hourly
CLASSIFICATION: Full-Time Regular
APPROVED DATE: 9/14/2020
JOB SUMMARY: Assists program participants to obtain stable employment and advance themselves toward economic self-sufficiency by providing comprehensive support services.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Interviews potential program participants who have been referred to SERCO for services; reviews applicant’s application and other documentation to assess possible barriers to be addressed.
- Provides comprehensive support services to assigned program participants. Duties include, but are not limited to, individual counseling, transportation plan development, child care planning, drug abuse treatment and other specialized services referrals.
- Works with program participant to develop an ISS plan of action and Career Plan, outlining necessary steps for the individual to increase job readiness, address barriers to employment and achieve primary and secondary goals.
- Provides counseling and intervention to address observed barriers that may reduce the participant’s chances of successfully completing the program; makes referrals as needed. Works with representatives of the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS), Friend of the Court, Department of Corrections and/or other agencies as necessary to ensure that the needs of the participant are addressed, including those affecting program compliance.
- Provides referrals to education related activities that will increase skills and/or lead to a certification needed to achieve basic skills and/or employment.
- Develops and maintains a working relationship with program participants and staff to ensure that concerns/barriers to successful program completion are addressed and resolved appropriately.
- Maintains participant records ensuring documentation of all program activities, attendance records, progress reports and other information as required by SERCO and the program funding source.
- Attends meetings as required by SERCO, the training institution and/or other agencies to address participant concerns.
- Conducts home visits as necessary.
- Maintains knowledge of current labor market and occupational trends.
- Contributes to the team effort by performing other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: NONE
- Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) from four-year College or University in Social Work, guidance, counseling or related field.
- One to two years of experience in case management or related field.
- Bilingual language skills in English/Spanish or English/Arabic preferred.
- Working knowledge of local community services and agencies.
- Computer skills necessary to maintain various records and reports.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to build positive relationships with program participants and various support agencies.
- Mental ability to handle pressures related to dealing with multiple individuals from diverse backgrounds and varying levels of need.
- Must be willing to travel and work flexible hours. (Evening and/or weekend hours may be occasionally required.)
- Must have a valid Michigan Driver’s license. Incumbent must also have reliable transportation to attend meetings outside of the office as needed.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: This is a largely sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets, and bend or stand as necessary. Occasional lifting and moving of materials as needed. Some walking and standing may be required for an extended period.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. This job operates in a normal office environment with little discomfort due to noise, dirt, dust, and the like. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines. — The noise level in the work environment is moderately loud.
Equal Opportunity Employer
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a person assigned to this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties and responsibilities that may be performed by a person so classified. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- Apply now! Visit: sermetro.org/apply to be considered for this position.