DIVISION: Adult Services
DEPARTMENT: Detroit At Work Career Center
REPORTS TO: Lead Career Coach
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt/Hourly
CLASSIFICATION: Full-Time Regular
APPROVED DATE: 12/10/2021
JOB SUMMARY: Assesses Detroit At Work Career Center customer’s career readiness and provides career coaching services.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Interviews customer to assess service needs; reviews applicant’s application and other documentation to assess possible barriers to be addressed.
- Jointly with the customer, develops a Career Plan (individual employment plan or individual strategy service) that identifies customer interests, goals, needs, and placement strategy.
- Assesses customer’s career and job readiness and recommends strategies to enhance their marketability including referrals to training and/or workshops.
- Identifies problem areas and service gaps and assures implementation of Career Plan; identifies and prepares reports to supervisor on areas identified as barriers to services for customers and prepares a plan of action.
- Provides counseling, intervention and comprehensive supportive services to address observed barriers that may reduce the participant’s chances of successfully completing the program; makes referrals as needed.
- Ensures customers are connected with available job placement services. Works closely with Talent Sourcing Specialist to ensure successful outcomes for customers.
- Maintain case reporting in MIS systems and customer’s files including all program activities, attendance records, progress reports and other information as required by SERCO and the program funding source.
- Re-engages customers requiring additional employment and career coaching services as applicable. Documents efforts and outcomes.
- Maintains knowledge of current labor market and occupational trends.
- Makes recommendations to management on policy and procedures changes.
- Attends meetings as required by SERCO, the training institution and/or other agencies to address participant concerns as needed.
- Conducts home visits or meets with participants in public setting as necessary.
- Contributes to the team effort by performing other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: NONE
- Experience in career planning, placement, employment, training, or a related field preferred.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university.
- Knowledge of education, training and community resources; of career coaching principles, objectives, standards, and methods; and of program policies and procedures.
- Ability and desire to work with a diverse population of customers with varying needs.
- Ability to communicate effectively; to assess customer needs; and to assist with case management activities.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access).
- Bilingual language skills preferred.
- Must possess and provide a valid Michigan Driver’s License. Must be willing to work a flexible schedule and have access to reliable transportation.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: This is a largely sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary. Occasional lifting and moving of materials as needed. Some walking/standing may be required for extended period of time.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photo copiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Equal Opportunity Employer
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a person assigned to this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties and responsibilities that may be performed by a person so classified. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must visit www.sermetro.org/apply.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com