DIVISION: SER Metro Charter School
DEPARTMENT: SER YouthBuild Learning Academy
LOCATION: SER Workforce Center – 5200 Stecker St, Dearborn, MI 48126
REPORTS TO: Curriculum Coordinator
CLASSIFICATION: Full time
APPROVED DATE: 5/3/2022
JOB SUMMARY: Facilitates instruction for students participating in an alternative high school, in a non- traditional classroom setting, through an online platform. Students enrolled in the SER Metro High School are ages 16 – 19 and are completing their graduation requirements to earn their high school diploma.
About SER Learning Academy: The model combines classroom instruction by a certified teacher with enabling students to learn a trade while in school, providing learners with the knowledge, skills, and self-discipline necessary to become successful citizens in a global society. At SYLA you will be part of a team that believes in this mission and makes real impact in young people’s lives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Encourages students to set and maintain high standards of classroom behavior and academic achievement
- Maintains a blended classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and individual academic level of the students
- Contacts students daily by phone, text or email to encourage daily attendance and engagement
- Provides attendance/engagement numbers to Administrative Assistant twice daily at 11:00am and 2:00pm
- Redirects inappropriate classroom behaviors. Completes a Disciplinary Referral and/or notifies Dean of Culture or Principal if the behavior persists
- Follows the Distance Learning platform and computer lab policies while adhering to our governing district’s education regulations
- Maintains the computer lab, while teaching and monitoring classes using a variety of instructional strategies and materials
- Focuses on actively circulating the classroom and supporting students to ensure that academic achievement gaps are being addressed
- Refers student for tutoring or foundational support as needed
- Organizes computer lab class signage, assists with student sign-on, assigns lessons, and conducts assessments, testing, and final exams as required. Tracks course completions and assigns new courses to students after a class has been successfully completed
- Assists with identifying platform problems, program usage issues, and works with tech support staff to resolve
- Establishes and maintains positive open lines of communication with students, colleagues, and parents concerning both academic and behavioral progress of assigned students
- Guides the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum standards and establishes clear objectives which reflect these standards for all lessons, units, and projects
- Works cooperatively and in concert with other colleagues, especially the co-teacher in the classroom, to advance a seamless, responsive and effective education environment for students
- Maintains student discipline and daily attendance systems with high standards, inputs attendance and grades online and monitors daily attendance records in PowerSchool
- Follows procedures for safe storing and integrity of all public and confidential school records
- Displays the highest ethical and professional behavior and standards when working with students, parents and school personnel
- Notifies immediately appropriate personnel and agencies when there is evidence of substance abuse, child abuse, child neglect, severe medical or social conditions, potential suicide or students appearing to be under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances
- Report incidents regarding violence, vandalism, attendance and discipline matters to the Dean of Culture or Principal
- Assist with identifying and addressing special needs of students including health-related concerns, and physical and emotional needs and reports to Principal
- Attends required meetings and trainings as required Principal, District, Authorizer or Management Company
- Adheres to all CDC mandates regarding social distancing, proper mask wearing and handwashing at all times
- Redirects students that are not adhering to CDC guidelines, safety or school policies.
- Refrain from personal cell phone and personal Internet usage during class hours
- Ensures that only students that are scheduled are in the classroom. No visitors are allowed
- Monitor student use of leaving class for all reasons. Do not allow students to visit another classroom during class time
- Proctors State and Local assessments
- Performs such other related tasks and assumes such other related responsibilities as needed
Supervisory Responsibilities: N/A
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university is required.
- State of Michigan Secondary Teaching Certification required, preferably with an Endorsement in Mathematics
- Two to three years’ experience in adult education and/or with at-risk youth.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Experience with technology and Microsoft Office software
- Bilingual language skills in English/Spanish and/or English Arabic is preferred.
- Ability to interact with students, parents and staff in a positive and productive manner.
- Ability to effectively educate and manage students from varying backgrounds and socio-economic levels.
- Experience in effectively handling conflict.
- Valid Michigan Driver’s License. Incumbent must also have reliable means of transportation to travel to various locations outside of the office.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to see, talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit for extended periods of time, and have sufficient hand, arm, and finger dexterity to operate a phone, computer keyboard, and other office equipment. Must be able to lift a minimum of 10 pounds.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. – This job operates in a normal school environment with a noise level, which is at times, moderately loud with little discomfort due to noise, dirt, dust and the like. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Equal Opportunity Employer
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a person assigned to this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties and responsibilities that may be performed by a person so classified. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must visit www.sermetro.org/apply