SER Metro–Detroit Year Round Youth Program is Year Round Youth program Funded by the Detroit Employment Solutions Corporation (DESC) under the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA). Our program provides comprehensive year-round services for youth ages 16-24.
The program focuses on academic enrichment, tutoring and mentoring activities, leadership training and career guidance and counseling. SER Year Round Youth Program focuses on improving the long-term employment prospects of young people by providing:
- Case Management
- Basic work readiness skills training
- Occupational training
- Paid work experience
- Follow-up and supportive services to eligible in-school and out-of-school youth.
SER Metro-Detroit Year Round Youth Program key components are: Work Readiness, Career Exploration, and Vocational Training & Job Placement. SER Metro Year Round Youth have participated in the following career exploration and vocational training & placement programs.
- Hacker Society- Grand Circus offering 60-hour introduction to Computer Application Coding training leading to stackable board approved credentials.
- STEM Genius- Introduction to engineering via hands-on project based learning. In addition, the lessons plans involved adheres to the State of Michigan Grade Level Content Expectations and National STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) guidelines. Students learn about the history of amusement park rides, medicine, robotics, and underwater robotics, and the many things that affect their success and failure.
- General Serviced Department (GSD) – Seasonal landscaping and park maintenance training and work experience leading to hi-lo and pesticide credentialing.
- Detroit Manufacturing systems- Manufacturing training and work experience leading to employment.
- CVS/Caremark- Training and work experience in retail, shipping/receiving, pharmaceutical techs, logistics, or front end leading to pre-apprenticeship and/ or employment.
Not only SER Year Round Youth are exposed to different areas of employment, another key focus is placed on the importance of higher education. SER Year Round Youth Program provides tutoring in core subjects, homework assistance, as well as help navigating the task of applying to colleges and finding scholarships.
To participate in SER Year Round Youth Program candidates must meet the following eligibility guidelines.
- U.S. Citizenship
- City of Detroit Residency
- Age 14-24
- Selective Service Registration (if applicable)
- Other criteria set by the US Department of Labor
For more information on how to apply to SER Metro- Detroit Year Round Youth Program, please contact
Youth Services Coordinator
SER Metro-Detroit Year Round Youth Program